Since LAC is a church plant, we are in the process of developing our ministries to fit our overall Church strategy and vision. Our “LAC Kids” children’s ministry has selected a model of ministry called “Family-Equipping.” Below is a summary of what that looks like in relation to it’s Distinctives & Practice.
- Family-equipping ministry seeks to make Christ above all else beautiful and declares an uncompromising Gospel to those who do not know Christ (Galatians 1:6-9).
- Family-equipping ministry is measured by lasting disciples rather than attendance campaigns and focuses on the glory of our matchless Savior (John 15:1-15).
- Family-equipping ministry truly partners with parents and prioritizes the task of resourcing, training, and involving parents as the primary disciplers of their children (Deuteronomy 6:4-9).
- Family-equipping ministry prioritizes and champions equally the two institutions that are God-given: the Family and the Church (Acts 2:42-47).
- Family-equipping ministry seeks men who are biblically qualified pastors rather than charming activity directors (1 Timothy 3:1-7).
- Family-equipping ministry develops a ministry environment that is healthy for a student pastor and his family; an environment where pastors will desire to stay long past today’s destructive, brief tenures (Matthew 10:10).
- Family-equipping ministry seeks to mentor students for adulthood, marriage, and family rather than seeking to develop lifelong youth group attendees (1 Corinthians 13:11).
- Family-equipping ministry invites, teaches, and expects older generations to invest in those younger in the faith (2 Timothy 2:2).
Practices of a Family-Equipping Model…
COORDINATION AROUND A STRATEGIC QUESTION
The ministry leadership must continually ask the question about every event and activity – we must be intentional and persistent in asking and answering the question. Each activity must pass the T.I.E. Test. “How will we Train, Involve or Equip parents through the activity?”
PARENTING WITH AN ETERNAL GOAL
The purpose of parenting is not to rear children to be happy and successful adults but to lovingly develop our children’s lives to advance God’s kingdom. Happiness and success are unworthy life-goals for believers in Jesus Christ. We must not be guilty of investing all our time, talent, money, and energy in things that have no eternal value.
PARENTING WITH A LIFE-LONG PLAN
Parents and ministries acknowledge and celebrate together each child’s progress in life and in the faith.
APPRECIATION FOR THE GENERATIONS
We are family – The young can learn from the old. The old are charged with the task of mentoring the young. We must emphasize opportunities for inter-generational integration and appreciation. “If a senior adult in our church were to die, would it affect our young people in any way?”
FAITH-TRAINING IN THE HOME
The church will consistently and intentionally equip parents to engage in faith training in their homes.
Faith Talks – once a week talk with your child(ren) about faith, scripture, God.
Faith Walks – (God sightings) – look for opportunities to teach about God in the course of everyday life.
HIGH EXPECTATIONS FOR CHRISTIAN HUSBANDS AND FATHERS
Biblically and historically the spiritual condition of the family rises and falls with the men. Throughout the Bible admonishment for rearing children is consistently addressed to the fathers.
(Deuteronomy 6, Ephesians 6)
ACTIVE COMPASSION FOR “SPIRITUAL ORPHANS”
Not every child in our congregation has a parent who is a believer and attends church worship or other activities with their children. Church families, adult singles, and senior adults will need to “adopt” a child or young person as part of a “faith family” in order to encourage spiritual development.
For more info please contact Myranda Bynum, our LAC Kids Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org